Housing Counseling Agencies


The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) funds housing counseling agencies throughout the country. These organizations can give you advice on renting, defaults, foreclosures, credit issues and more. To contact the agency nearest you, call (800) 569-4287 or visit www.hud.gov.

Iowa Mortgage Help offers Iowans access to free, confidential mortgage counseling with local organizations. When you call, you will be referred to a trained, professional counselor who will listen to your situation and offer assistance and resources that best fit your unique situation. This free service is backed by the Iowa Finance Authority and the Iowa Attorney General's Office. If you are struggling with your mortgage payment, this free call may help you save your home from foreclosure.

Phone: (877) 622-4866 | Website: IowaMortgageHelp.com

If you are a New York State homeowner struggling to make payments, or in a forbearance agreement, then you should know your options. Help is available through the NYS Office of the Attorney General’s Homeowner Protection Program (HOPP) at no cost to you.

Call the NYS HOPP Toll-Free Hotline at 1-855-HOME-456 (1-855-466-3456) or go to HomeownerHelpNY.org to get connected with a non-profit housing counselor or legal services organization in your area.

Phone: (855) 466-3456 | Website: HomeownerHelpNY.org

State Disclosure Language Access For New York City Consumers: You may request language access services when you call us. If your primary language preference is Spanish, you may request our Spanish monthly billing statements by calling our Customer Service Department at 800-777-4001. You can also find translation and description of commonly-used debt collection terms in multiple languages on the New York City Department of Consumer Affairs' website at www.nyc.gov/dca and at www1.nyc.gov/site/dca/consumers/Glossary-of-Common-Debt-Collection-Terms.page.

Housing counselors and legal assistance may be available at little or no cost to you. If you would like assistance in determining your rights and opportunities to keep your home, you may contact the statewide foreclosure hotline recommended by the Housing Finance Commission.

Phone: (877) 894-4663(HOME) | Website: Homeownership-WA.org