Homeowners who are having difficulty making their current mortgage payments may be eligible for state assistance programs. These programs provide assistance to families that have suffered short- and long-term financial hardships. While not all states offer these programs, and each state’s program may be different, they generally offer one or more of the following types of mortgage assistance:
- Loan Modification Assistance - A loan modification brings your loan current by adding your missed payments to your unpaid loan balance, and can create a more affordable monthly payment by extending your loan term up to 30 years (360 months) or 40 years (480 months), and/or changing your interest rate.
- Reinstatement Assistance – Reinstatement assistance brings your loan current by repaying all or some of your missed payments, as well as unpaid fees and costs owing on your loan.
- Unemployment Assistance - Unemployment assistance may pay some or all of your monthly mortgage payments and/or repay your past due balance until you regain employment.
Because these state programs are designed and administered at the state level, homeowners need to apply directly with their state agency. Once a homeowner is deemed eligible for a state program (assuming our lien position is not impacted), PennyMac will provide the state with any information it requests from us and will work with them to ensure any assistance is timely and appropriately applied to your loan.
Don’t delay; some states have already concluded the application process. State requirements and program details are subject to change. Please refer to your state’s program for the most up-to-date information.
How to Apply
- Online Application: https://housing.az.gov and click “Self-Assessment”
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call: 1-877-448-1211
- Online Application: https://www.chfa.org and click “Homebuyers & Homeowners” followed by “Emergency Mortgage Assistance Program”
- Call: 1-860-571-3500 or 1-877-571-CHFA
- Online Application: http://www.destatehousing.com and click “Looking for Foreclosure Prevention”
- Call: 1-888-363-8808
- Online Application: https://housing.mt.gov/Rental-Housing/CovidHousingAssist
- Call: 1-800-761-6264
- Online Application not available. The HEMAP program is available for Conventional and VA loans only (FHA loans do not qualify). Furthermore, homeowner must receive an ACT 91 from the assigned Attorney (showing Loan Summary > Default Info > Foreclosure under Loan Details). This notice will include a list of credit agencies customers may visit for the application assistance or they may call 1-800-342-2397 for any questions.
- Online Application: https://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html/rhode_island_hardest_hit_fund.html and click on “Mortage help”
- Call: 1-800-427-5560
BE AWARE OF FORECLOSURE & LOAN SCAMS!
- PennyMac does not charge fees for a modification or other loss mitigation plans when you are facing a delinquency
- PennyMac does not accept payments from Money Gram
- Funds are always payable to PennyMac and not to an individual
PennyMac will work with you to ensure every option possible is explored to retain home ownership. No fees. No strings.